I’ll admit it — I’ve never had a bloomin’ onion. Just the calorie count on the popular appetizer turns me off…but honestly, now that I know it’s easy to make them at home, I kind of want to try one.
Maybe it’s just the fact that at home, I can control just what goes into the recipe…perhaps I finally understand how delicious they look. Either way, if you’ve never tried the savory side (or maybe it’s your favorite), you have to check this simple dish out!
It’s really not that hard to make bloomin’ onions at home. All you need are a few delicious ingredients and you’re good to go!
Here’s what you need!
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of pepper
- 3 tablespoons of paprika
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of salt
- Oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
- Cut the end opposite to the root off the onion and peel the dry skin.
- Make slits all around the onion down to the root.
- Mix the milk and eggs in a bowl.
- Combine the flour, garlic powder, two tablespoons of salt, pepper, and two tablespoons of paprika in another bowl.
- Dip the onion (root down) into the milk mix, spooning the mixture into all the crevices.
- Then, transfer the onion into the flour mix, again spooning it into the layers.
- Repeat the milk and flour steps once more.
- Fry in oil for 10 minutes.
- For the sauce, mix the remaining salt and paprika with the sour cream, mayo, ketchup, and worcestershire sauce.
- Tear off a piece of bloomin’ onion and dip away!