When I was little, my parents used to tell me that lightning was just God and the people in heaven having a really elaborate photoshoot.
Nothing says summertime quite like an afternoon thunderstorm. The loud crashes of thunder mixed with the flashing imagery of lightning provide the perfect cinematic entertainment without having to pay to go to the movies.
As cool as thunder and lightning may be, the latter can also be incredibly dangerous. There are an estimated 100 lightning strikes on Earth every second, and each bolt can possess around one billion volts of electricity. Nearly 2,000 people are killed each year as a result of being struck by lightning.
Check out these 17 insanely awesome yet terrifying lightning strikes.
1. This incredible lightning strike at a train station caused a massive explosion that forced the cancellation of many departing trains.
— Isles OfErin (@IslesofErin) July 24, 2016
2. This plane just narrowly escapes being struck by lightning.
3. It's a bird. It's a plane. Nope it's just super-fast lightning!
4. This slow-motion video of a lightning strike looks like a bunch of tiny hands reaching out into the night sky.
5. A photo like this happens once in a lifetime.
6. Luckily no one was on the beach during this lightning strike.
7. This compilation of lightning strikes is truly shocking.
8. There's a light at the end of this rainbow!
9. I promise, this isn't the beginning of the apocalypse.
10. They say lightning never strikes the same place twice. I think they're wrong.
11. Who knew upward lightning was even possible?
12. Looks like there's trouble in paradise.
13. Thankfully, no one was hurt in the filming of these lightning strikes.
14. Golden skies like these can only bring about bad news.
15. That was a close one!
16. This Peruvian soccer player survived being struck by lightning in the middle of the game.
17. A little too close for comfort.
I think I'll keep watching lightning storms from the comfort of my living room window, thankyouverymuch.