We all have a list of foods that we've never tried, or that we'll never try again. At the top of my list is an entire category: seafood.
I'm not sure if it's the fishy smell or the slimy feel of sea creatures, but I've never found seafood of any kind to be appetizing. I will however, cook it for my family, as long as they remain at least 15 feet away from me while they eat it.
Despite my unfamiliarity with the taste of seafood, one thing I know for sure is like any other food on the planet, it tastes much better when it's battered and fried. These potato shrimp bites look so delicious, that I might even consider giving them a try. You can't go wrong with a recipe that includes my favorite starch, potatoes.
To try these for yourself, check out the recipe below:
- 15 shrimp
- 3 cooked potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 egg + some water (egg wash)
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Place the peeled shrimp in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix to coat evenly.
- Place cooked potatoes in another bowl and mash.
- Add butter, egg yolk, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Mix everything together.
- Mold potato mixture around the shrimp.
- Take the potato shrimp and dip them in a bowl of flour, then a bowl with the egg wash. Finally, dip them into the bread crumbs.
- Fry the shrimp until golden-brown. Allow to cool on a rack.
- Serve with whatever dipping sauce you'd like and enjoy!