If I'm being honest, just the thought of tofu used to creep me out. I don't know if it was the consistency, the tastelessness, or just the look of the food, but I could not see myself enjoying it.
But then I was introduced to this recipe. It combines two of my favorite things — fried food and seafood. If both of those sound good to you, you're going to want to give this a whirl.
Here's what you'll need for these fried tofu and shrimp balls:
- 14 ounces of tofu
- 1/2 pound of minced shrimp
- 3/4 cup of diced water chestnuts
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger
- 2 teaspoons of white pepper
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Egg wash
- Panko bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Combine the tofu, shrimp, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, pepper, and salt in a bowl and stir.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and stir.
- Grab a spoonful and mold it into a ball with your hands. Repeat.
- Dip the ball into a bowl of flour, then egg wash, and panko.
- Fry for a few minutes in oil until golden brown. Serve with more soy sauce for dipping.