A North Carolina civil rights museum will not be providing special treatment to Donald Trump anytime soon, alleging the Republican presidential nominee’s campaign was “aggressive and rude” to museum staff while attempting to make a VIP request to visit the museum, WFMY News 2 reports. Earl Jones, co-founder of The International Civil Rights Center and Museum in Greensboro, says Trump’s campaign was “demanding” and “disrespectful” when they contacted staff last week in an effort to request the museum be shut down for five hours in order to accommodate a visit by The Donald, which was likely part of his faux black-outreach plan.
“We did not honor the request of the Donald Trump team because we thought [what] they demonstrated, in their approach was disrespectful, so therefore we did not grant that request,” said Jones.
Trump will be speaking at High Point University on Tuesday and Jones says the campaign was trying to set up a visit to the museum, about a half-hour away from the college, on the same day. He says he did not feel the Trump campaign’s request was sincere. He also says the museum does not provide special treatment to anyone, regardless of who they are:
“The approach, the type of disrespect, pretty much a demand and bullying us to use the museum in their manner and their way in their time, it was inappropriate and I think it’s probably reflective of the type of insensitivity of civil rights and human rights that’s reflective from Trump over the years.”
When asked if Hillary Clinton could also be denied if her campaign made a similar request, Jones’ answer was “yes.”
“We have equal treatment for everyone coming to the museum and we welcome everyone to the museum, but we are not going to allow the museum to be used for political gain,” said Jones.